Terms and Conditions
- The NFD website does not automatically gather any specific personal information such as your name, number or email address. We would only obtain this information if you supply it by sending us an email.
- All personal information created, held or collected by Natural Resources Canada for the purposes of the NFD is protected under the federal Privacy Act; therefore, at any point of collection, you will be asked for your consent to collect information or advised of the authority for such collection. You will be informed of the purpose for which it is being collected and how to exercise your right to access that information.
- Web servers across the Internet collect certain information about a visit to a website, including the visitor’s Internet Protocol (IP) address. IP addresses are unique numbers assigned by Internet Service Providers (ISP) to all devices used to access the Internet. Web servers automatically log the IP addresses of visitors to their site. While IP addresses on their own cannot be used to identify an individual, in certain circumstances, such as with the cooperation of an ISP, it could be used to identify an individual using the site. For this reason, The Government of Canada considers the IP address to be personal information, particularly when combined with other data automatically collected when visitors request a Web page, such as the page or pages visited, data and time of visit.
- The NFD employs software programs that monitor the network traffic, and to identify unauthorised attempts to load or change information, or otherwise cause damage. These programs are also used to gather anonymous information such as statistics to improve the functionality of our site. The software receives and records the IP address of the computer that has contacted the website, the date and time of the visit, and the pages visited. The NFD makes no attempt to link the addresses with the identity of individuals unless an attempt to damage the site has been detected.
- Visitor information is not disclosed to anyone except Government of Canada personnel who need the information to carry out responsibilities of their job. Any further disclosure of personal information you give us will be in accordance with the federal Privacy Act.
Web analytics is the collection, analysis, measurement, and reporting of data about Web traffic and visits for purposes of understanding and optimizing Web usage. Information in digital markers may be used for the purpose of web analytics to remember your online interactions with the National Forestry Database’s (NFD) website.
NFD uses Google Analytics to improve its website. When your computer requests a NFD Web page, our institution collects the following types of information for Web analytics:
- the originating IP address;
- the date and time of the request;
- the type of browser used; and
- the page(s) visited.
NFD website uses Google Analytics and the information collected is disclosed to Google Inc., an external third party service provider. Your IP address is anonymized prior to being stored on the service provider's servers in order to help safeguard your privacy. The information collected is de-personalized by truncating your IP address. No personally identifying information is recorded or provided to Google.
Google Analytics uses “session” and “persistent” cookies; persistent cookies are stored on your computer and expire two years after your last visit to the website.
The NFD respects Canada’s official languages and is committed to ensuring that all information is available in both English and French. When there is no obligation to provide information in both official languages, content may be available in one official language only, such as in the case of technical documents.
Links to websites not under the control of the Government of Canada are provided solely for the convenience of our website visitors. We are not responsible for the accuracy, currency or reliability of the content of such websites. The NFD is not responsible for the information found on these sites nor does it endorse the sites and their content.
Data and content on this site were produced and/or compiled by the NFD for providing Canadians access to information. The material on this site is covered by the Copyright Act, by Canadian laws, policies, regulations, and international agreements. Some of the materials and graphical elements found on this website are subject to copyrights held by other external organisations as part of collaborative agreement. In such cases, some restrictions on the reproduction of materials or graphical elements may apply and it may be necessary to seek permission from the rights holder prior to reproducing the material. You must source third parties when reproducing their material.
Information on this site has been posted with the intent that it be readily available for personal and public non-commercial use and may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from the NFD. We ask that:
- Users exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- NFD be identified as the source of the information; and,
- The reproduction is not represented as an official version of the materials reproduced, or as having been made, in affiliation with or with the endorsement of NFD.
Reproduction of multiple copies of materials on this site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Government of Canada's copyright administrator. Through the permission-granting process, NFD helps to ensure that individuals or organizations wishing to reproduce Government of Canada materials for commercial purposes have access to the most accurate, up-to-date versions. To obtain permission to reproduce materials on this site for commercial purposes please contact:
The National Forestry Database (NFD) obtains data from a number of sources that are operated by various government agencies and organisations. Values posted on this web page may change from time to time due to corrections and/or the availability of updated data.
The NFD and its partners supply this data "as is" with no warranties neither expressed nor implied. The data, derivatives products and services are subject to change at any time. While we make every effort to provide valid values, there are circumstances where values must be carried over or estimated using a variety of methods. The user must recognize that such estimated data are not real observations. The user of this data assumes all responsibilities on its usage. In no event will the NFD or its partners be in any way held liable to the user or any third parties who use this data or any derivatives, products or services arising from this data, for any damages whether indirect, direct, consequential, special or exemplary, however caused.